Photograph by Melissa Pickle
According to John the Beloved of Jesus Christ…
Gospel of John 876-900
876) 19:29; And there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a sponge with vinegar, and put it about a hyssop stalk, and put it to his mouth.
877) 30; Now when Jesus had received of the vinegar, he said, “It is finished” and bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
878) 31; The Jews then (because it was the Preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day: for that Sabbath was a holy day) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken down.
879) 32; Then came the soldiers and broke the legs of the first, and of the other, which was crucified with Jesus.
880) 33; But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they broke not his legs.
881) 34; But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
882) 35; And he that saw it, bare record, and his record is true: and he knows that he says true, that you might believe it.
883) 36; For these things were done, that the Scripture should be fulfilled, not a bone of him shall be broken.
884) 37; And again another Scripture says, they shall see him whom they have thrust through.
885) 38a; And after these things, Joseph of Arimathea (who was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews) besought Pilate that he might take down the body of Jesus.
886) 38b; And Pilate gave him license.
887) 38c; He came then and took Jesus’ body.
888) 39; And there came also Nicodemus (which first came to Jesus by night) and brought of myrrh and aloes mingled together about a hundred pounds.
890) 40; Then took them, the body of Jesus, and wrapped it in linen clothes with the odors, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.
891) 41; And in that place where Jesus was crucified, was a garden, and in the garden a new sepulcher, wherein was never man yet laid.
892) 42; There then laid they Jesus, because of the Jews’ Preparation day, for the sepulcher was near.
893) 20:1; Now the first day of the week came Mary Magdalene, early when it was yet dark, unto the sepulcher, and saw the stone taken away from the tomb.
894) 2; Then she ran, and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and said unto them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulcher, and we know not where they have laid him.”
895) 3; Peter therefore went forth, and the other disciple, and they came unto the sepulcher.
896) 4; So they ran both together, but the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulcher.
897) 5; And he stooped down, and saw the linen clothes lying: yet went he not in.
898) 6-7; Then came Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulcher, and saw the linen clothes lie, *and the kerchief that was upon his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
899) 8; Then went in also the other disciple, which came first to the sepulcher, and he saw it, and believed.
900) 9; For as, yet they knew not the Scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.