Photograph by Emmanuel Phaeton
According to John the Beloved of Jesus Christ…
Gospel of John 826-850
826) 18:31a; Then said Pilate unto them, “Take you him, and judge him after your own Law.”
827) 31b; Then the Jews said unto him, “It is not lawful for us to put any man to death.”
828) 32; It was that the word of Jesus might be fulfilled which he spoke, signifying what death he should die.
829) 33; So Pilate entered into the commune hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, “Are you the King of the Jews?”
830) 34; Jesus answered him, “Says you that of yourself, or did others tell it you of me?”
831) 35a; Pilate answered, “Am I a Jew?
832. 35b; Your own nation, and the high Priests have delivered you unto me.
833) 35c; What have you done?”
834) 36; Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, my servants would surely fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.”
835) 37a; Pilate then said unto him, “Are you a King then?”
836) 37b; Jesus answered, “You say that I am a King: for this cause am I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth: every one that is of the truth, hears my voice.”
837) 38a; Pilate said unto him, “What is truth?”
838) 38b; And when he had said that, he went out again unto the Jews, and said unto them, “I find in him no cause at all.
839) 39; But you have a custom, that I should deliver you one loose at the Passover: will you then that I loose unto you the King of the Jews?”
840) 40; Then cried they all again, saying, “Not him, but Barabbas”: now this Barabbas was a murderer.
841) 19:1; Then Pilate took Jesus and scourged him.
842) 2-3a; And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a purple garment, *and said, “Hail, King of the Jews.”
843) 3b; And they smote him with their rods.
844) 4; Then Pilate went forth again, and said unto them, “Behold, I bring him forth to you, that you may know, that I find no fault in him at all.”
845) 5a; Then came Jesus forth wearing a crown of thorns, and a purple garment.
846) 5b; And Pilate said unto them, “Behold the man.”
847) 6a; Then when the high Priests and officers saw him, they cried, saying, “Crucify, crucify him.”
848) 6b; Pilate said unto them, “Take you him and crucify him: for I find no fault in him.”
849) 7; The Jews answered him, “We have a Law, and by our Law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.”
850) 8-9a; When Pilate then heard that word, he was the more afraid, *and went again into the commune hall and said unto Jesus, “Who are you?”