GOSPEL OF JOHN: 576-600
According to John the Beloved of Jesus Christ…
576. 11:56; Then sought they for Jesus, and spoke among themselves, as they stood in the Temple, “What think you, that he comes not to the feast?”
577. 57; Now both the high Priests, and the Pharisees had given a commandment, that if any man knew where he were, he should show it, that they might take him.
578. 12:1; Then Jesus six days before the Passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, which was dead, whom he had raised from the dead.
579. 2; There they made him a supper, and Martha served: but Lazarus was not one of them that sat at the table with him.
580. 3; Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard very costly, and anointed Jesus feet, and wiped his feet with her hair, and the house was filled with the savor of the ointment.
581. 4-5; Then said one of his disciples, even Judas Iscariot Simon’s son, which should betray him, *“Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?”
582. 6; Now he said this, not that he cared for the poor, but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare that which was given.
583. 7; Then said Jesus, “Let her alone: against the day of my burying she kept it.
584. 8; For the poor always you have with you, but me you shall not have always.”
585. 9; Then much people of the Jews knew that he was there: and they came. Not for Jesus’ sake only, but that they might see Lazarus also, whom he had raised from the dead.
586. 10-11; The high Priests therefore consulted, that they might put Lazarus to death also, *because that for his sake many of the Jews went away, and believed in Jesus.
587. 12-13; On the morrow a great multitude that were come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus should come to Jerusalem, *took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, “Hosanna, Blessed the King of Israel that comes in the Name of the Lord.”
588. 14-15; And Jesus found a young ass, and sat thereon, as it is written, *”Fear not, daughter of Sion: behold, your King comes sitting on an ass’s colt.”
589. 16; But his disciples understood not these things at the first: but when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they, that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things unto him.
590. 17; The people therefore that was with him, bare witness that he called Lazarus out of the grave, and raised him from the dead.
591. 18; Therefore met him the people also, because they heard that he had done this miracle.
592. 19a; And the Pharisees said among themselves, “Perceive you how you prevail nothing?
593. 19b; Behold, the world goes after him.”
594. 20; Now there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast.
595. 21; And they came to Philip, which was of Bethsaida in Galilee, and desired him, saying, “Sir, we would see Jesus.”
596. 22; Philip came and told Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip told Jesus.
597. 23; And Jesus answered them, saying, “The hour is come, that the Son of man must be glorified.
598. 24; Verily, verily I say unto you, except the wheat corn fall into the ground and die, it bides alone: but if it dies, it brings forth much fruit.
599. 25; He that loves his life, shall lose it, and he that hates his life in this world, shall keep unto life eternal.
600. 26; If any man serve me, let him follow me: for where I am, there shall also my servant be: and if any man serve me, him will my Father honor.