GOSPEL OF JOHN: 551-575
According to John the Beloved of Jesus Christ…
551. 11:34b; They said unto him, “Lord, come, and see.”
552. 35; And Jesus wept.
553. 36; Then said the Jews, “Behold, how he loved him.”
554. 37; And some of them said, “Could not he, which opened the eyes of the blind, have made also, that this man should not have died?”
555. 38a; Jesus therefore again groaned in himself, and came to the grave.
556. 38b; And it was a cave, and a stone was laid upon it.
557. 39a; Jesus said, “Take you away the stone.”
558. 39b; Martha the sister of him that was dead, said unto him, “Lord, he stinks already: for he has been dead four days.”
559. 40; Jesus said unto her, “Said I not unto you, that if you did believe, you should see the glory of God?”
560. 41a; Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid.
561. 41b; And Jesus lifted his eyes, and said, “Father, I thank you, because you have heard me.
562. 42; I know that you hear me always, but because of the people that stand by, I said it, that they may believe, that you have sent me.”
563. 43; As he had spoken these things, he cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth.”
564. 44a; Then he that was dead, came forth, bound hand and foot with bands, and his face was bound with a napkin.
565. 44b; Jesus said unto them, “Loose him, and let him go.”
566. 45; Then many of the Jews, which came to Mary, and had seen the things, which Jesus did, believed in him.
567. 46; But some of them went their way to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done.
568. 47a; Then gathered the high Priests, and the Pharisees a council. And said, “What shall we do?
569. 47b; For this man does many miracles.
570. 48; If we let him thus alone, all men will believe in him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place, and the nation.”
571. 49-50; Then one of them named Caiaphas, which was the high Priest that same year, said unto them, “You perceive nothing at all, *nor yet do you consider that it is expedient for us, that one man die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.”
572. 51-52; This spoke he not of himself: but being high Priest that same year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for the nation: *and not for the nation only, but that he should gather together in one the children of God, which were scattered.
573. 53; Then from that day forth they consulted together, to put him to death.
574. 54; Jesus therefore walked no more openly among the Jews, but went then unto a country near to the wilderness, into a city called Ephraim, and there continued with his disciples.
575. 55; And the Jews Passover was at hand, and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the Passover, to purify themselves.